Tuesday, February 27, 2007

How Much Am I Worth?

I can honestly say I don't have an answer to that question. Some people seem to think I'm worth my hourly rate. So far, at least, that's been the case. However, I got an interesting question today.

I took a cold-call today from a person seeking family law representation. This is a snippet of the awkward conversation:

Me: [price quote, retainer, hourly rate, etc.]
Caller: So, what do I get for that?
Me: [thinking: um, legal representation] [silence . . . still thinking of an appropriate response.]
Caller: I mean, what I'm asking is, if I give you all that money, how hard are you going to work for me?
Me: [long pause] I work very hard for all my clients. I charge my clients all the same hourly rate and they all seem to be satisfied with my representation.
Caller: Well, I mean, what's your win/loss record?
Me: There aren't really winners and losers in family law. It's not that simple. Everyone wants something different so what's a win for some isn't a win for others.
Caller: You know, I know lawyers sometimes charge for things that didn't cost nearly as much as they're charging. I know a lot about the law. [meaning you won't get away with that shit if you try to pull it over on me.]
Me: Oh, really? [couldn't think of an appropriate response without sounding adversarial]
Caller: Yeah, I know a lot about the law. I've had lots of tangles with it, so I know.

What I really wanted to say:
1. There aren't winners in family law. Only losers. Some just lose less than others.
2. I'm sure your law degree from the University of JAIL is quite distinguished.
3. Please don't hire me.
4. Do you think I honestly work harder for some clients and not others, based on how much they pay? That's not true, fair, or ethical. And, how the fuck am I supposed to answer that question to your satisfaction? If I lie and say, yes, I'll work harder, then I'm selling myself and my other clients out, in addition to lying. And, if I say the same as all other cases, they'll think they're not special and not getting their money's worth. There's no good answer.
5. If you don't think I'm worth the money, find someone else you're comfortable with and we'll both be happier for it.

The bottom line: Don't take a client you know you can't make happy, no matter what you try to do to please them or how many rulings you think you might get in their favor. Especially in family law. It's a bad enough situation, lawyers aside.

And this is why I maintain the fact that, some days I'd rather deal with a sex offender on a bad day (on a professional level, of course) than a pissed off parent seeking a divorce on a good day.

2 comments:

newmomdawn said...

Yeah that.

Anonymous said...

Even non-family law clients can stink. But, I recently awarded a client the "Best Answered Interrogatories" award - seriously, I told the client that. I had very little addditions to make or ask. He answered them almost like he went to law school.