Sunday, December 10, 2006

Life as a Cat

It's really boring. I came down with a stomach bug on Friday morning. All I've done since then is sleep and eat, with more focus on the sleep part. By Sunday evening, even my cats were giving me looks as if to say, "aren't you going to DO anything?"

I had a momentary burst of energy last night and cleaned the apartment. Two loads of dishes had been staring me down for quite awhile and, well, I haven't had these dishes long enough to feel OK about throwing them out. :) I even picked up all the packing peanuts that had been strewn about the floor for quite some time. Oh how I love shopping online for holiday gifts.

Today, I've been slightly productive. I went into the office to check my mail & e-mail. After 30 minutes of sitting at my desk in my pajamas, I was back on my couch with the cats.

On another note, I spoke with my mom today. She was snowmobiling (Yes, we're like the Beverly Hillbillies, but with snow toys instead of the cement pond), at the cabin and managed to roll the sled (and she rolled with it) and break her ankle. Yikes. Thank god she was wearing a helmet.

And, true to herself, my mom didn't think anything was broken or, at best, she "wasn't sure." So, she snowmobiled for awhile, hung out, had her friend that's a nurse look at it, and waited until the end of the weekend before deciding to swing by the hospital to get it looked over by a doctor. She didn't even go to the local hospital by the cabin. She decided, instead, to stop by the one by her house, which means she rode in the car for three hours.

The best part about this story. It's one thing to tell yourself that you didn't break anything after an injury and ignore it for awhile. It's another thing when you've come to this determination, in error, three or four times previously, dating back to 1984. Every time, she thinks it isn't broken. Every time, it is. In 1984, she broke her ankle so badly she required a plate and screws.

You gotta love my mom.

9 comments:

newmomdawn said...

Yikes!! Surely snowmobiling isn't *that* fun.

Sour Girl said...

I wouldn't know, it's a hobby that my parents didn't start until I went to college. They've become a bit obsessed, though. They have between 5 and 7 sleds. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Not going to the dr. when you're in serious pain must run in the fam. Ex. redbeard not going to the dr after putting a screw driver through his own hand, sour girl not going to the dr after she "sprained" (it probably was broken) her ankle so bad that it had a lump the size of an egg on it. Me after I went off a 3 ft. drop off while sleding & killed my back (thought it was broken for a brief second, but pushed it off as a severe muscle strain). When to the dr. 1 day later (for pain killers) & was told it was only a strain. lastly mom's 3 incidents. Moral of the story go to the dr asap & I sure as hell lucked out.

Sour Girl said...

Jenny, you didn't even ask to leave school the day you fell off the swingset and broke your wrist.

Tanya said...

Thank goodness your Mom is OK - crazy hick!! Hahaha

Sour Girl said...

You can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the farm outta the girl.

Anonymous said...

last september i broke my finger (for the second time) while playing softball. i now hold the distinction of being the only person to break their finger catching a pop fly (or almost catching it) while actually wearing her glove. i had just been to the doctor earlier that day and he gave me a whooping cough shot and i had an allergic reaction to it and couldn't raise my right arm or sleep on it for a week and it was just starting to hurt really bad at the time of the softball finger breaking so i was pissed at the doctor about this and didn't go back and have my finger looked at. i simply taped it to my other finger and called it good. the i played in the championship game the following week and just taped the finger up, prayed for no fly balls, and took a lot of pills. a month after that when the finger still hurt and and i still couldn't bend it and i still had to tape it to the other finger i STILL refused to have it looked at citing reasons such as it's only a finger, and it is probably almost healed by now anyway. well it wasn't. so finally in march i had it looked at and yes it was broken, and no it didn't heal properly and yes i also tore the ligament that runs along the top of your finger and allows you to lift your finger off your desk when you hand is flat. my finger just sits on the desk and refuses to move. the doctor said to fix that it would require surgery. i never went back to the doctor after that and instead switched to second base from the outfield on the softball team so i could avoid any pop flys. i think i am related to your mother.
summer

Sour Girl said...

It's OK, Summer. I'm the only person to ever severely sprain an ankle while skiing. You're more likely to break your leg at the top of the boot than hurt your ankle, but I decided to loosen my boots because my legs were falling asleep. My mom didn't make me go to the doctor. I was 15. Four months later, I thought I should have it checked out. Some cortisone shots was all that was recommended. After a decade of aching, I went back to the doctor and found out that, if I can't rehabilitate it, I'll need an ankle replacement by the time I'm 35.

Anonymous said...

I didn't fall off the swing set. I fell on ice covered by snow on the playground (in the 3rd grade) while running to get in line because the bell rang. & I didn't even cry (I wimpered a little). Looking at it now I should have sued the school for having ice on the playground (jk).