Friday, January 12, 2007

Brave New World

I'm getting a dog!!! Yes, I've relinquished my Miss Crazy Cat Lady Midwest title and now will be vying for the Miss Crazy Animal Lady Magic City this spring.

The dog: 3 year old male Shih Tzu named Duke. He was a puppy mill victim. He even has a number tatooed on the inside of his ear! While at his former home, he was almost always in a kennel, except when it was time to breed or go to the bathroom. Apparently, last time he was let out to do his business, he ran away and was gone for over a month. He eventually wandered back home and, upon his arrival, was introduced to a new mate. When he refused to mate with the new dog, his owner demanded her husband dump him at the shelter. Very sad.

He's remarkably socialized for being a piece of equipment instead of a pet. He is very mellow, quiet, and sweet. I played with him for awhile tonight and he came to me, let me pet him and pick him up. I had them put a cat in the room with us and he wasn't overly interested in her. He'd sniff her and back up, but that was it.

Duke definitely perked up when he was allowed to be around two female dogs while I chatted with Bamboo, Shanogropher and the Humane Society staff. He was chasing tail like a Colorado State football player. Needless to say, he will be neutered before he comes home.

His name is going to change, depending on how attached he is to "Duke." If he's attached to Duke, he'll be named "Luke." If not, I'm thinking his name will be Aldous Huxley (Huxley for short). I've enjoyed my soma holiday so much I'd like to honor the Brave New World author. Of course, poor Disco Steve had a few name changes until we both settled on one, so it may be awhile until he has an established name.

Duke arrives home Monday or Tuesday. And, he'll stay so long as, after a few weeks, the cats have grown to love him. OK, that's unrealistic. He'll stay so long as the cats have grown to ignore him, and he them.

No comments: